Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Seven Dresses


I had my own version of the movie 27 Dresses last Friday during our company anniversary. That film is about Katherine Heigl's character who had been a bridesmaid 27 times, and had the dresses to show for it.

The photo was cropped as my officemates would kill me. The theme for our program was "1994", the year when our company was born. Our group was assigned to do a "Miss Universe" pageant, as the famous beauty contest was held in the Philippines that year.

We brainstormed on what to do. As I was very busy, I volunteered to provide the gowns for the contestants. I dug through my closet and found these seven dresses, and in fact more, though the rest were not worn. My life flashed before me, starting with all the wedding roles I had taken on - flower girl, maid of honor, bridesmaid, secondary sponsor, choir, lector, commentator, and guest. I also saw my progress pound for pound, as the dresses grew in size through the years. Come to think of it, that was the primary reason why I had to keep on having new gowns and dresses made. The old ones wouldn't fit anymore. LOL.

I've always loved to play dress up. When one of my older cousins got married, I was their Flower Girl. I remember begging my mother to let me wear that dress again, complete with flower basket, everyday. My mother complained that it was hard to keep washing that long green dress I loved so much.

I haven't scanned a photo of me wearing that green gown yet. This one was taken when I was five years old, I think. I have other photos uploaded to Facebook here.

I never had problems with makeup either. Whenever I joined the Santacruzan as a sagala, or attended Recognition Rites as school, or played at a piano recital, I couldn't wait for my mom to put on my makeup. Up to now, my silliest splurges are still committed in Beauty Bar.


My dress-digging paid off, as our group won second place. The judges were dazzled by the gowns and the makeup. I have a new alternative career. Always the bridesmaid. It's time to get promoted to play another role.

No comments: