Thursday, January 29, 2009

Prelude to a Review of "The Secret Life of Bees"


“Most people don’t have any idea about all the complicated life going on inside a hive. Bees have a secret life we don’t know anything about.”
-August Boatwright's character, "The Secret Life of Bees"

I want to watch this film, but do not have the time to do so. I have read the book by Sue Monk Kidd and was impressed by her writing. It was different from her other book, "The Mermaid Chair", which I had mixed feelings about due to its style and content.

"The Secret Life..." deserves a proper book review, and I will get to it once I find the time.

I remembered the quote because I have found myself "busier than a bee" these past few days. My friends tell me that I should get a shirt that says, "Born Busy", because I am always doing a project, coordinating an event, organizing a reunion, running an errand, or finalizing a report. I was a busy student, I became a busy lawyer, an even busier missionary, and now at my busiest, with work and family concerns.

In all that busyness, there are even more complicated things going on inside my head. Sue Monk Kidd wrote it well when she compared the life of bees to the life of humans. It is as graphic and as accurate as a metaphor should be.

Read the book and watch the movie. We'll talk about it more in this blog. Soon, I hope. Or you can start writing your comments below. I will find time to read them. I always do. :)

2 comments:

SearchingWellness said...

Hey busy bee. :)

Unknown said...

Hi SearchingWellness. I should take up your tips, really, though I'm not into yoga. Age is catching up on my speed. :)